Abducted by aliens

Clearly, I was abducted by aliens last week.

I could not, for the life of me, figure out why the left bodice of Wearing History 3015 was 1/2 inch shorter along the shoulder seam than the other three-quarters (the front bodice and both sides of the back). The half-inch difference seemed to indicate that it was intentional, but . . . why?

I got the bodice mostly sewn together and then it hit me at, like 1:00 this morning.

It's because of the standing collar. The half-inch is the collar seam allowance. The collar isn't attached to the left front bodice because the right front laps over.

I am a moron.

I'm a moron who brought a bodice and a seam-ripper to work with her today so she can make good use of her lunch hour.

It's not that bad. I have to undo part of the shoulder seam, part of the center-front seam, take off the bias binding on the edge of the left front bodice, and cut back the edge a half-inch, then re-bind and patch up the seams. Actually, this is good because I think I need to cut the neck opening a little more and this will allow me to do that, too. So, entirely salvageable, but aargh! I can't believe I was so stupid! It was so obvious. Where was I?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a more productive note:

I knitted swatches while watching Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and decided that US 3 or 4 for ribbing and US5 or 6 for stockinette is a good gauge. Tight and neat-looking, but still soft. Yeah. I ordered 3, 4, and 5 circular needles (I already had 6's) so I'll be ready when my 1945 sweater book arrives. I also collected my Michael's coupons so I can get cheap yarn.

My plans are:

V-neck vest similar to this one, in Patons Classic Chestnut Brown (100% wool. More like a Van Dyke brown; dark and "black-tinged", without red or yellow tones).

Crew-neck vest in Lion Wool-Ease Chestnut Heather (Wool/acrylic. Burgundy/mauve/brown)

V-neck cardigan in Patons Classic Wool in Jade Heather. I might do a wide-rib pattern on this. I really like Berroco's March Basic but I might have to re-do the gauge; I tried a 6/8 swatch and it was just too coarse. The 1945 Bernat book might have something I like better. Another possibility, if I could reengineer it enough, would be the Lion Yarn Short and Chic cardigan, which I adore but which is intended to be knit in chunky yarn. I hate chunky yarn, but, Heavens, wouldn't that look awesome over a big June Cleaver skirt?

Moss stitch or double-moss stitch pullover in Lion Wool-Ease Forest Green Heather (Wool/acrylic. Slightly bluish dark green; darker and much greener than the Patons Jade Heather). I'm seeing this one as a 1950's-style, slightly short-waisted, slightly blousy, pullover with plain rib bands, a crew neck, and maybe buttons at the shoulder. The length and shape would be similar to this, or to these ready-made Jantzens.

Comments