Bernat 5330: Original pattern

Bernat Handknit Classics is an interesting and practical, if slightly awkward book, in that it simultaneously charts two yarn-gauge groups (one basically sport-weight and one baby-weight, as far as I can tell from the recommended needle sizes and stitch gauges), in sizes for children, women, and men, in a way that allows the knitter to combine features to get just the plain sweater she wants. You can choose a pullover or cardigan with long, short, or no sleeves, add a crew or V-neck, and then knit for your niece, yourself, or your grandpa, all in a few pages. It's basically modular knitting.

(OK, I think this is interesting. It might be totally common or have become hopelessly passé since it's a little unwieldy, but it's cool now that I've figured it out. I don't read very many knitting books. I'm totally out of the loop.)

The sweaters are no-frills, which is exactly what I wanted. I'm a utilitarian knitter, not an ambitious one. I have too many interests and hobbies already; I'm doing this only secondarily because I want to know how. I'm mostly here because I'm cold and I can't get good sweaters. My taste in sweaters, though, is pretty no-nonsense.


The original for the sleeveless V-neck pullover that I want goes like this:

Needles: US 2, US 4, US 2 double-points (I'm using US 4 and US 6 circulars)
Gauge: 6 stitches per inch (this would be roughly sport weight. I'm using worsted, although my horizontal gauge is about the same[???]. My row gauge is 7 per inch instead of 9, which won't matter much until I get to the armscyes. I'll have to adjust those so I move horizontally within the adjusted number of rows for armscye height.)
Size: 18 (Bust 36. Sizing was different then. I'm used to this, though, since it also applies to sewing patterns. I'm actually a dress size 16 but I'm going up a size so this can be worn easily over other clothes.)

Back:
Cast on 108 stitches on smaller needles. Work in K1, P1 (I'm doing K2, P2) rib for 3 inches. Change to larger needles and continue in stockinette stitch for 12" (15" total. I might shorten this a bit so it fits nicely over a dress with a waistline).
Armscye: Bind off 6 stitches a beginnings of next 2 rows. Decrease 1 stitch at the beginning of every other row, 10 times. Work on remaining 76 stitches until the armhole is 8 1/2 inches (I might make this 1/2-inch or an inch longer).
Shoulders: Bind off 8 stitches at beginning of next 6 rows (3 times each side). Leave 28 stitches on a holder, for the neck.

Front:
Cast 120 stitches on smaller needles. Work as for back up to armscyes.
Divide work in half. (Place marker? Place half the stitches on a holder and come back to them? Does it matter?)
When armscyes measure 1 1/2 inches, attach a second yarn. Shape armscyes as for back, and at the same time shape neck:
Decrease 1 stitch every other row, 6 times, then . . .
Decrease 1 stitch every 3rd row until there are 24 stitches left.
Work even until armscye is the same length as for the back. Shape shoulders as for the back.

(Presumably you seam the sides and shoulders somewhere in here.)

Neckband: On small double-points, pick up 144 stitches including the stitches on the holder. Place marker at center front of V. Knit in rib, decreasing 1 stitch on each side of marker, every other round, until band is 1 inch.

Armbands: On small double-points with right-side facing, pick up 144 stitches. Work in ribbing until band is 1 inch.

Comments