Mint Chocolate Chick

I'm a terribly sentimental person.

I still have my Cabbage Patch Kids, the dollhouse my mother made me from cardboard boxes and wrapping paper (it's brilliant. I need to take pictures), my Sylvanian Families, my Transformers, and a not-insignificant and still-slowly-growing collection of Breyer horses. Yes, I was so Eighties.

When I was a kid, our meeting held a craft fair every year. People sold everything from bean soup mix to handmade pottery to stuffed animals, and probably a lot of other things that I don't remember. My brother and I still have the small gray teddy bears and yarn pom-pom Gizmos we got one year.

The next year, I got a chick, also made from yarn pom-poms. Except she was light green with brown eyes and beak. Like this, but not yellow. Mom suggested I name her "Mint Chocolate Chick", which I thought was hysterically clever.

But then, she got lost.

I have no idea what happened to her but, as an oddball kid whose toys were her most reliable friends, losing one was more traumatic than it really should have been.

Last year, I went to the Sawmill Festival in New Caney, with a group of friends, to play music. There was a lady there who made the most awesome crocheted animals. Chicks, ladybugs, jellyfish with long, curly, tentacles; a sheep that looked like Shaun from "Wallace and Gromit"; an alpaca in a Peruvian hat. I bought a dodo bird for $6. Easily the most amusing $6 I've ever spent.

Hilarious, right?

Then, I got a brilliant idea. She makes chicks! I bet she makes green chicks if you're really nice to her!

She was back this year, so I asked if she did custom orders. Oh, yes; there's an order form on her website, or I could email her directly.

I emailed her Tuesday night, thinking that a green chick with brown legs and beak was a bit odd and might require more explanation than online ordering allowed. I got a confirmation email the next morning.

I thought this would be a "wait six to eight weeks for delivery" kind of deal but she sent me a picture on Wednesday afternoon. Yes, Wednesday afternoon. I don't crochet but I have to think that a chick in a day is pretty darned fast.

Freaking awesome!

I think she might have to be my "Flat Stanley." She and the dodo can go on adventures with me. Such as my adventures are.

Check out Unique Gifts to see what-all she can do.

(No, I'm not a paid endorser, and she did give me a price break for being a repeat customer, but not with the stipulation that I advertise for her. I just like her stuff.)

Comments