New Pattern: 2011 April 28

Oh. My.

I am so excited about this pattern, it's completely irrational.

The 1930's were a miraculous decade. Nobody had anything and yet they managed to make even housedresses look insanely glamorous.

This pattern says it's an "apron", but you'll notice she's not wearing anything underneath it. I think it really means "bungalow apron" or morning dress, which was something basically in between pajamas and a casual dress. Like those loungers you see advertised in newspaper inserts and at Vermont Country Store: You don't sleep in them but most people don't wear them to the grocery store, either.

This one is a back-wrap with little cap sleeves. You know I love cap sleeves. It's a lot like my dear, defunct, flapper dress pattern but not a pullover, and with some shape.

Here's a bad picture of the instructions. I'll post a better one when it arrives. I can't tell for sure, but it looks as though you might have a choice of a V-back or a higher, less revealing, one that buttons at the shoulder.

The pattern itself is undated but it does have a National Recovery Administration logo on it, which means it was made between spring 1933 and June 1935.

Update: Nope! The left side of the back buttons to the right shoulder, and the left side just wraps around and ties into place.

Hilariously, there are no facing pieces for the back. Not cut pieces, and not in the pattern diagram. It just says "face" and leaves you to your own devices, although it clearly shows the back pieces with facings in the instructions. Very economical, really, not to waste paper printing pieces that are just smaller parts of other pieces that you've already provided.

Ooh! A single button at the shoulder! Do I see another bound buttonhole in my future?

Comments

Evie said…
I absolutely love that pattern!
amy said…
Have you seen the most recent version (it's not new anymore but it's newer than the other one) of Love in a Cold Climate? The fashion is sooooo wonderful. I think you can watch it on Youtube or at least clips.
No. I'll have to look for it. I can probably Netflix it.
amy said…
Oh meant to add! The wardrobe I've been building is inspired entirely by Fanny's outfits. Don't have enough pieces yet to pull it off yet. But one day soon!

She's on the left - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/4190340229_d0c820eb12_o.jpg
amy said…
I wish it were on Instant. The last time I got it from Netflix, I kept it for two months.
Is that Rosamund Pike?

Thirties' casual rules.
amy said…
Oh the picture worked for you here! I couldn't get it to. Yes that's Rosamund Pike.
My wardrobe is sort of confused right now. I have a ton of clothes but not enough essentials--I'm in desperate need of, of all things, basic mix-and-match skirts and office-level sweaters. I don't even have a "bottom" to wear with my beloved Western shirts. What the heck?

Most of my keep-worthy clothes are winter clothes (flannel shirts, henleys). I lost a lot of weight and now most of my dresses, even the newer ones, are too big. Wearable, but not flattering. But I need time to sew more. I have to convince myself to let those that are hopelessly too big, go, and replace them.

I want to do more 1930's and 1940's stuff but I have to get around to it. I don't know where all my time goes.
amy said…
I'm mostly buying modern equivalents and sewing is way off my radar, sadly. This can be an expensive process. April Cornell sometimes has good sales. Most of that brand doesn't appeal to me, but every one in a while I find a great piece there, like Peter Pan collared blouses with attached necktie. I got two from there last year on sale. No great skirts to wear with them yet though.
I've given up on buying skirts. The waist/hip ratio thing just doesn't work, even with A-lines. They still hang up on my hips and "float" around my waist. I'm not wasting any more money on stuff that doesn't fit, even if it means spending my entire clothing budget in the Hobby Lobby fabric department. I'd spend that much on alterations, anyway, after paying for the $#@! skirt.