To-Do List

Amber Jean puts me to shame finishing projects. She admits she often has UFO's [unfinished objects] lurking in her sewing room, and she always has more plans than she has time (but who doesn't, right?), but she definitely accomplishes more than I do.

I'm having the clothing equivalent of a cash-flow problem. I've got clothes--too many clothes, really--but not in the right combinations. Most of my dresses are too big, and I have plenty of nice blouses and tops but my skirt selection is not in good shape. Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

I Goodwilled Marian Martin 9359 #1 because it was too big, and I'm about to do the same with #2, also because it's too big. I'll probably try to sell American Weekly 3740 because it's also too big, but newer. Sigh. All that work and I hardly got to wear it.

The list keeps getting longer. I think I need to start with projects for which I already have fabric, right? Doesn't that seem the most practical?

1. Butterick 4126 (1976): In red check, to be worn with a belt and, whenever possible, boots. I need some instant gratification; this should be a simple pattern and I don't even have to resize it.

2. Butterick 5744 (1952): I need to try to salvage this now that I'm not outside of the size range for it. I love the fabric and I'd hate to completely waste it. Besides, I need summer dresses.

3. Anne Adams 4834 (1978): I culled my 1970's patterns but this one is a keeper. I think I have to size it down a little, but not by a lot.

4. McCall's 4658 (1975): Blouse, in the lilac calico I got at Goodwill.

5. Papaya red cotton: I have a skirt idea for this, finally. Shouldn't take long but I have to actually sit down and do it.

6. McCall's 5783 (1977): I need skirts like you can't believe. This one will hopefully be black corduroy, and the blouse red and white calico.

7. McCall's 4966 (1975): Another instant-gratification dress, to be worn with a belt or under a sweater.

8. McCall's 7038 (1947): I don't have to resize this now, and I have all the fabric, and I love it, so what the heck is stopping me?

9. Marian Martin 9928 (1940's): Telephone Girl. Needs to be sized down a little, but shouldn't be hard. I could use up a lot of buttons on this, too.

10. Iris Lane 3219 (1960's): I could use a nicer dress, anyway.

11. Simplicity 4102 (1942): Chicken Dress.

12. Simplicity 2488 (1949): Before I'm too old to wear it!

13. Butterick 4888 (1970's): Black/gray chambray, with shorter skirt.

14. Simplicity 8308 (1977): Denim A-line skirt.

15. Simplicity 8389 (1977): Dark brown A-line skirt and jacket. I need to use that blouse for something, too. I actually bought the pattern for the cute blouse.

16. Knitting: Sweater vest: Brown V-neck

17. Knitting: Sweater vest: Mauve crew-neck

18. Knitting: Sweater: Black cowl-neck to replace my "beatnik sweater", a black acrylic Cherokee that was worn out when I got it six years ago at a garage sale. But I loved that sweater. The big, floppy, collar made me feel so . . . oddly glamorous, even though it was just a cheap, worn-out, discount-store sweater. Current contenders are Berroco's Olivia (with ribbing modified to narrower stripes) and Tessa. I think Tessa has a slight lead because her sleeves are more set-in and she's less unflatteringly boxy.

19. Knitting: Sweater: Green crew-neck in double moss stitch. Maybe.

20. Knitting: Sweater: Jade-green cardigan

21. I really want a dark gray pinstripe skirt, too, but it's less vital.

22. I want to make the Folkwear gabacha but I'm not really convinced I want to use that violet blue I dyed. Maybe I should do it just to use it, since it's not a vintage pattern, anyway. I kind of want this to be homespun-y, though, because I think the texture will be better. I think I really don't like that violet blue. I should make it into pillowcases or something to use it up. Maybe as a lining for something? I don't even want to make pajamas out of it.

23. I need a new apron. Or two. Or three (I totally want to make this of black Kona and wear it over #13 Butterick 4888 to see how many people ask if I'm Amish).

24. At some point, I'd like a light-gray pencil skirt.

25. . . . and a tan tweed one.

26. I'm dying to sew up some of those adorable 1930's patterns I've got.

27. I'm also dying to sew up some of those two-piece dresses and suits.

28. Simplicity 2577 (1948)

29. Simplicity 3383 (1950): Tattoo Dress

30. I've got other fabrics to use: Hallowe'en Kitties for a blouse, 1980's floral, Cranston VIP slate-gray mini print,

31. Anne Adams 4926 (1940's): Blouse in coral flower print, jumper in black twill.

. . . Okay, just looking at that makes me tired!

Comments