Wearing History 3015: Handwork

Lots of handwork to do on Wearing History 3015. It's theoretically wearable but I insist on finished seams, etc., and I still have to tack the facings on some of the bound buttonholes. I brought it to work with me today so I could do some of that over lunch.

Then I need to get cracking on some summer dresses. I need a wardrobe overhaul. I have lots of winter and work clothes, but not enough staples. I got black twill this past Saturday to make a new skirt, and I can get the brown corduroy I need this week with a 40% coupon. I'm still debating the Fourth of July Dress.

I need to get out my fabrics and see what I actually have, and match them with patterns. I have the largest pieces of fabric hanging in my closet and they're taking up too much space (and need to be used, anyway).

1. Red calico: Too modern for my 1930's and 1940's dresses. This is more of a 1970's-1990's style print. I've waffled on this for a long time: Not the right "age" or "look" for most of my favorite patterns, very bright red, might be overkill in a prairie dress. I'm considering it for Butterick 2939 (1964?), with yellow trim and buttons, because it's sort of a bridge pattern--clearly vintage, but without a lot of busy style elements.

2. Papaya red: I think I've finally decided that this will be a dirndl skirt. I have a design in mind but haven't drawn it out yet.

3. Coral 1940's reprint: I love this fabric and deeply regret not getting more of it. Oh, well. Will probably be the blouse from Anne Adams 4926.

4. Teal: I'm pretty much set that this is going to be Iris Lane 3219. I just hope I can wear the color!

5 Lilac with pink roses: Thrift-store find, not enough for more than a blouse. Still thinking this will be the blouse from McCall's 4658 (1975), with the collar trimmed down.

6. Maroon with shamrocks: Given to me by a friend. I am praying I have enough here to do DuBarry 5634 (1943), even if I have to do "hidden parts" in plain maroon fabric to make it work.

7. Tiny green floral: McCall's 4966-C. This needs slight resizing but shouldn't take me long once I get started.

8. Red check homespun: I've been swearing I was going to use this for Butterick 4126 (1976), another instant-gratification dress, but I feel a "stop" in the back of my mind. It might be the huge collar, which is silly since that's so easily changed. An alternative would be to use this for McCall's 4966-C and use the green floral for 4966-E with the tucked bib inset.

9. 1950's (?) print: I got this at a secondhand/antique shop and I adore it but I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't have enough for a big Fifties dress but it kind of says to me that it wants to be Simplicity 2667 (1938?), or something similar.

10. Fourth of July plaid: OK, not really, but kind of. This keeps changing. It was going to be H6508 with a dark blue yoke, but now it might be Simplicity 4737 (1943), with a dark-blue jacket.

11. Alexander Henry tattoo fabric: I still think this will be Simplicity 3383 (1950).

12. Aunt Grace 15th Anniversary chickens: Simplicity 4102 (1942) view 1, with red rick-rack.

13. Aunt Grace 650-337: Marian Martin 9928, with white buttons.

14. Black twill: Skirt from Simplicity 8114 (1977), with added patch pockets with flaps.

15. Mauve roses: Anne Adams 4834 (1978), with either maroon or cream lace trim.

16. Green and tan geometric: Fingers crossed that I have enough of this for McCall 7038 (1947), with dark brown revers, cuffs, and waistband.

17. Gray/black chambray: Butterick 4888 (1970's), with shorter skirt.

18. Civil War green and rose floral: Simplicity 2477 (1948), with brick-red piping.

19. Gray and white pinstripe chambray: Probably Simplicity 2627 (1958) with long sleeves, as a winter dress.

20. Lemon-lime stripe: This faded badly when I washed it so I'm going to overdye it, probably deep red, and use it for Butterick 6433 (1950's).

21. Fabri-Quilt Antique Treasures patina green: Another fabric I adore. I have trim fabric dyed to match and mean to use it for Simplicity 2488 (1949?).

Other fabrics, for which I have no clue:

1. Maroon: Possibly with tan Midcentury-esque print trim.

2. Huge red and blue paisley: This was originally supposed to be a Civil War dress, but it's obviously completely inappropriate. I could use it as a quilt back, I've got so much, but that seems a waste. It might just end up being a skirt.

3. Cranston VIP mini in slate blue: Love this. No idea what to do with it.

Comments