Wearing History 3015: Moving along, new pattern, Lefton pug

Listening: Steve Earle mix: Transcendental Blues, "Everyone's I Love With You"

I'm in a suit mood. OK, I'm in an "I think my office wear is sliding and I need to raise the bar" mood. Or maybe my wardrobe in general is sliding. Or maybe I'm a natural slob.

Hmm. That's probably it. I'm a slob. You should see me on weekends: Same broken-down black twill skirt and T-shirts all the time. Sigh.

I'm too old to be a slob, aren't I? Too old and too young, both: I've outgrown the sandbox stage and am decades away from earning the right to retire my proper daywear along with my career.

I'm really into the idea of two-piece dresses. I used to hate them, but the more of them I see, the more they seem like a good idea, especially in a hot climate where they could be made basically as lighter, casual, suits, or where I could wear a tank top underneath and not have to sweat up the dress top on my way home from work in the car.

My offer got accepted on this one and I really love it. I love that it has both day and dressy versions, and I think the day version with long sleeves will make a great basis for a suit I've had in mind since before I even knew how to sew.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was admiring Vogue 3184 (1948) on eBay, but it's just a bit small, and $10 is kind of pricey. Okay, not very pricey, but . . . eeeeeh. It wouldn't be covered in full by my eBay bucks.


Then, I ran across Simplicity 2945 (1949):


It's actually my size (the copy I got is a Bust 34) and it was a few dollars cheaper. Rotating bust darts around to shoulder darts is not so difficult, sleeves are easy to shorten, collars can be drafted, and anybody can appliqué some triangular faux-pocket flaps (or not faux; I could add pockets, right?). Leave the bodice off the jumper and add a waistband and . . . voilá! Fake Vogue suit!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm moving along on Wearing History 3015. I wanted to get more done this weekend but my time just disappeared. (Productively--I hope to have pix of what I was doing up later.) I like the pattern a lot, though. I've gone back to my old plan of blue cotton with plaid facings, and I found some drop-dead-awesome buttons, which should arrive any second.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a non-clothing note: Meet Jellybean.

Jellybean is a Lefton pug. I've seen several of these on eBay but they're relatively rare and exceptionally nice, and they always get bid out of my range very quickly. I put "Lefton pug" on my notify list and this one popped up as a--are you sitting down?--$7.50 Buy It Now.

I read the ad three times to see how much damage he had. It said "none" all three times. I got a little light-headed.

Comments