DuBarry 1952B (1937?): Collar

Listening: Gillian Welch, The Harrow and the Harvest

So far, so good!

The armscyes turned out to be a bit fiddly but now that I have them under control, things are progressing well. The dress itself is easy, I just have a penchant for reinventing the wheel each time I start a new project. If I would pay attention to what I learned from the past, oh, dozen projects, everything would go faster.

So far:
I managed to not only get the plaid centered, but I got the tucks symmetrical. Yes, I know they should be symmetrical, but my intentions often don't translate into reality.

I failed to fussy-cut the pockets so that they matched, too. It's not a big deal, but it would have been fun to plan that a little better. Those pockets were way to much work for so little carrying capacity, but they're awfully cute.

The collar went on without a hitch, and I love the look of the bias-binding finish:

Yeah, it's just purchased binding, because I didn't feel like messing with making that, too. I behaved myself this time--no mismatched scrap-fabric facing.

The underside of the collar, though, is unbleached muslin, because if something didn't look makeshift I wouldn't recognize my own clothes, right?

The top of the collar is white twill.


I still stink at blind-tacking, as you can see here, but I have a lot more to do on the armscyes so I should improve.

Comments