New Pattern: 2011 July 29

Listening: Gillian Welch, The Harrow and the Harvest (2011)*

I'm too lazy to think about the order of things here, so I'm just going to post them in a big heap.

Simplicity 2335 (1937?): Nice day or housedress, and double-breasted day-dress. Actually, that day-dress appears to have three rows of buttons, which remind me uncomfortably of the Simpsons fish. I think I'll stop at two rows, thank you very much.

I'm all over that butter-yellow with red-orange trim bit, though.


McCall's 2243 (1958) Pierre Cardin: Who knew I was a Pierre Cardin kind of girl?

OK, so I'm not, but I am a shapeless tunic kind of girl. Maybe not a shapeless tunic with bows on the hips kind of girl, though; everyone has to have limits. I might do small, nonfunctional, straps with buttons, though.

I'm really seeing this in some kind of gray/white/black geometric print with black binding. Kind of bourgeois beatnik.


Anne Adams 4229 (1940's): Nice utility dress. I do love shoulder darts.


Advance 6144 (1953?): I thought that was lace on Miss Blue Plaid's bertha, but once the pattern arrived in the mail, I looked more closely and discovered that it's actually pom-pom trim. Yes. Like on my grandmother's kitchen curtains.

That is so wrong.

And yet, I might have to make a version of it with pom-poms. Something in a garish and slightly mind-warped Tropical Skittles-colored print.


Advance 2324 (1939?): Nice suit with zip-front sort jacket.

I get a weird vibe from this illustration. The blue suit is more businesslike, but something tells me the model is the Good Girl. Miss Gray might have a frilly peplum and a back-bow, but I bet she's got a past. The kind of girl who loves 'em, leaves 'em, and cleans out their bank accounts. The kind of girl who could match Sam Spade clue for clue.


Chicago Tribune 2163 (no date, circa 1950): I've admired the faux-waistcoat front on this for a long time, and then it went on sale. It's not my size but I think I can deal with that.

I think this is Miss Gray's older sister, who stayed on the family farm in Iowa, married the boy next door, and loves her wayward sibling, but knows better than to get too involved.

*Lest y'all think I only own three CD's . . . I'm a music fiend. I've got piles of them. I usually blog on my lunch hour, though, and a lot of my stuff is not really office-friendly, either because it's too angry (I'm looking at you, Scott Biram), it's too shrill (anything involving fiddle), or it's the wrong energy level. I love the blues but it's hard to motivate yourself at that tempo.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been hoping to see someone reclaim pom-pom frionge and give it the glory it deserves!
Jessamyn said…
I can't get behind the pom-poms, but rick-rack would be a nice period alternative to the frou-frou of lace. And my, look at all those this-that words!