Butterick 6038 (1978-1979)

I thought I'd started a series of project postings about this, but--lo and behold!--I had not.

One of the drawbacks of wearing so many dresses is that I'm starting to realize that I'm deficient in wardrobe staples. I have black twill for a new skirt, and I'd like to have a brown corduroy on in the not-too-distant future.

I also have no blouses.

Well, I have blouses, but they're all too specific. I have a drawer-full of turtlenecks and henleys for work and winter, respectively. I have a collection of outrageous embroidered Western shirts that can do any Texan proud. I lack basics. I have one white blouse and it was old when I got it at the secondhand store, ten years ago, when I was in college (it's also at least a size too big. Probably two sizes). I have a blue calico skirt almost ready to cut and nothing to wear with it.

I got this awhile ago and was/am waffling over whether or not to keep it. I guess the acid test is how it looks on me, right? I'm pretty skeptical of the boxy shape, and the only white cotton I could get that was opaque enough was Kona, which is sort of stiff. Maybe with a lot of washing . . .
Butterick 6038 (1978-1979): I'm making the short-sleeved version on the left, with the side ties. The drawstring waist is too Seventies even for me.

It's not your eyes--the pattern packet is misprinted.

I added 3/4 inch to each quarter at the hip. I can always take it out again if it's too belled.


I wasn't supposed to topstitch the neck facing on this version, but whatever. I didn't interface because of the stiff fabric, and I hate loose facings, so topstitching was definitely in order.


So far:


My obsessive seam-finishing. This is a sort of faux-faux-French seam: The seam allowances are turned inward toward each other and whipstitched.


Close-up:

I'm basting the collar on today at lunch.

Comments