Dear New York Times: Seriously?

Let me start this out by saying that I love the Homesick Texan blog.

I have two copies of her cookbook on order at Amazon (one for myself and one for my brother, who is a slightly less homesick Texan now that he's been able to move from Illinois to southern Arkansas and is now within an hour's drive of a Whataburger). Her recipes make me wish desperately that I had more time to cook and more people to feed.

So, I don't blame her for this.

But . . . seriously?

Would it be possible for you, New York Times, to write an article about a southern state without being condescending? (Do you even realize that you're being condescending? I kind of think you don't even see that you're doing this . . . but you are.) Don't get me started on the article they published about the decline of the Louisiana fishing industry, which basically panned it as an outdated way of life and a small loss . . . after publishing no fewer than three articles bewailing the decline of the Tavern on the Green restaurant. No hypocrisy there, right? What's an entire culture compared to a single past-its-prime New York hash-house?

". . . this Texan belle had enough steel in her spine to leave behind cowboy hats, pickup trucks and country music to become a card-carrying member of the Museum of Modern Art and sleep with earplugs in a second-story bedroom facing Seventh Avenue."

Hmm. No stereotypes in that. No, sir-ree. Everyone knows that it's completely true that all Texans wear giant hats, drive trucks, and can't spell the word "museum", never mind have any inclination to visit them.

I guess this tack sells well to upper-class East Coast readers, but the Times should be more careful. It does have readers down here, and many of us really like Texas. Personally, I think it would take far more steel for a privileged New Yorker to come down here and learn that one can be intelligent, well-read, and interesting without being pretentious.

The Houston Museum of Fine Arts issues "cards", too. Houston is also a major shipping port; the seat of the American oil industry, which I understand might not endear it to New Yorkers; and the home of some of the largest and most sophisticated medical facilities in the world. We have an opera, theaters, "ethnic" neighborhoods, better and better restaurants, and more festivals and indie art than I'll ever have time to appreciate as much as I'd like. (Not having any winter allows us to host many more festivals per year than cold northern states.)

Furthermore, we can do it without New York's astronomical cost of living and vicious competition for classroom slots, parking places, and living space. I can always visit New York but at least I can afford to live in Houston.

I'm not seriously bothered. To be seriously bothered would imply that I took this dig more personally than it deserves, and that maybe I'm insecure about how I stack up, hipness-wise, to the Big Apple. I'm not. I just find it slightly annoying and more than a little pathetic. Ironically, New York, your cultural blindness is showing.

Oh, and there should be a comma after "pickup trucks". If you're going to look down your noses at us, at least get your basic punctuation right.

Comments

Sarah said…
I am in NYC right now (originally from LA and FL, family all over the SE & SW) and they really are all like that here. You know, they sneer at grits but eat polenta....it's so aggravating. It used to bother me more, now I mainly roll my eyes at it all.

I had to laugh at the article though, because Miss Fain herself is guilty of having her NYC blinders on -- I been able to buy RoTel tomatoes (and masa and chiles and you name it) for as long as I've lived here. Apparently she's willing to train it out to NJ but can't cross a bridge or ride the ferry. Has she never realized that all the Mexicans working in the restaurants and so on live here too? Argh......
I mostly roll my eyes, too. Mostly.

I thought it was weird that she couldn't get Ro-Tel there. My impression has always been that New York prided itself on being the kind of place where you could get anything, food-wise. But not Ro-Tel? Not Ranch Style Beans? Makes no sense.

On the other hand, I'm Houstonian enough, much as I love her blog, to be skeptical of someone who writes so fondly of Texas but was so anxious to leave. It sort of feels like wanting to have her cake and eat it to: Be a New Yorker but with the cachet of being a well-adapted immigrant from the Wild West.
Anonymous said…
I'm a true North easterner, (15th generation born & raised), and I find the article offensive, too!

I ve spent time in Texas, and know many lovely people there. I think I'd prefer TX to NYC anyday, in fact.:)
In the interest of full disclosure: My mother is a Northeasterner (New Jerseyite/historical Philadelphian, going back to the 1680's) but we haven't lived there since 1982, when we left Easton, Pennsylvania. So, yes, I've lived there (although Easton is probably less New York than is Houston, by a long shot), but we moved to Colorado just before I turned five and I barely remember it. I visit extended family often enough for it to feel familiar in the I-vacation-here-sometimes sense, but not enough to get comfortable.

Really, I believe that most of us have to sift around a little before we settle into our true homes. If hers is in New York, then no problem, but I would be very happy not to snipe at New York if it didn't snipe first. (Yeah, yeah--stooping to their level and all.) More room here for those of us who love it, right? But please don't be patronizing.
Sarah said…
Well, I noticed that she mentioned being able to get "rare" ethnic items by going to Whole Foods and other exotic grocers -- I'm thinking she never has ventured into lower-income areas around here. Trust me, I've been able to buy RoTel and probably anything you can think of along those lines for a very long time. I don't remember ever NOT seeing RoTel.

She does mention Key Foods as a place that carries RoTel "now", but that's a pretty much upper/middle class store. She needs to try the working class grocery chains, then she'll get everything she needs. And pay a lot less too!

Honestly, NYC, especially the Manhattan/Brooklyn contingent is different from the rest of the NE. In fact, they tend to sneer at the rest of the NE. Heck, they sneer at the rest of their own city! Graciousness is not part of the makeup around here.

I think you are right about her wanting to have her cake and eat it too, I didn't think about that but it makes sense. Can you imagine how people would react to the opposite? Although I think it would be sort of funny.
I'd try it except that I'm already naturalized, so it wouldn't work, and I guess my mom's family could volunteer, but they're beer-and-NASCAR blue-collar New Jerseyites, so that wouldn't help. ;-)

I just remembered that I have chili for lunch. Made with Ro-Tel. Awesome.
Saint Pudalia said…
When I moved back to Texas from San Francisco, someone seriously asked me what it's like to live in a place where people wear guns on their hips. I said, "What, you mean policemen?" I LOVE Houston (my birthplace). It has so much public art and great architecture.
Oh, my.

Yeah, I went to college in Iowa and everyone there was pretty sure I lived on a ranch. No, really--I live in the suburbs like everyone else.