Disruption

I was at work for all of an hour and a half yesterday when my mother called to tell me that she'd woken up with a raging GI bug. She hemmed and hawed about my coming to keep an eye on her, but the fact that she called at all 1) meant she really did want me to come and 2) meant that I pretty much had to come or I'd spend the whole day worrying about her and not get anything done, anyway. She has some other health issues that make it particularly dangerous for her to become dehydrated and/or hypoglycemic, and she takes some medications that she cannot skip (i.e. that must be replaced with injections in the event she's too nauseated to take pills).

She was finally able to sleep and slept most of the afternoon. I checked in every 20 minutes or so, brought her water, and made a run to Sonic for a bag of their awesome pelleted ice. And washed my hands. A lot. Because I definitely do not want whatever it is that she has--I don't think she was this sick even when she drank that water in Rome and ended up in the hospital for two days.

She was grouchy this morning but no longer had that dropped-from-the-tenth-floor-and-run-over-by-a-bus look, so I left her with a big mug of pelleted ice and water, and made a second attempt at starting the work week. So far, so good--no phone calls.

On the other hand, I got all the laundry done yesterday (not folded, but washed and dried) and culled a ton of stuff for Goodwill and eBay. My archive job measures things in linear feet, and it's starting to spill over into my personal life: I culled a total of about six and a half linear feet of stuff for charity. Eight if you count the things I'm going to try selling on eBay before I give them away. Ha ha!

Comments