Prairie Style 1978

I'm going to kill a whole flock of prairie-styled birds with one stone here. Follow the links to see the full project sets; there's too much to post here.

First up . . . Butterick 6038 (1978-1979):

The pattern packet said "Fast & Easy", and it was, even with my seam-finishing obsession. It has no fasteners and no darts or other complexities. I'm getting used to the fit. If I make it again, I'll trim down the remarkably-tall sleeve caps to both eliminate some of the necessary gathering and to tweak the fit, which seems slightly off in a my-sleeve-caps-are-too-tall kind of way.

I wasn't sure about the shape, which is boxy, and the waist ties, which suggest maternity clothes even though they're not really in the right place to be maternity-anything. It felt better the second time I wore it, though, so maybe I just need to learn to be less picky about fit.

The fabric is Kona cotton, which is a little stiff but opaque enough to make a respectable white blouse. The color is "Snow" which, oddly, is off-white. It's about the color of unbleached muslin, minus the brown flecks; I wanted muslin but couldn't find any that wasn't pretty see-through. I'd kind of like to try it in homespun, too. Maybe in brown plaid with button waist tabs.

Here it is with the improvised brown dirndl skirt.

I'm from Texas. I can wear boots with everything. If it's not in the state Constitution, it should be.

Also, that is not my house. Unfortunately.

Here's 6038 again with McCall's 5948 (1978):

5948 is Seventies prairie fashion, no holds barred. I look a bit like a B-movie Navajo here, I'm afraid. That was unintentional, I promise. I'll remember that in the future and maybe not wear them together too often.

Comments

Jessamyn said…
That's cute - I like the job you did with it! The sleeve caps don't bother me, but I'm old enough to remember them (as a child) when they were in.

I think if I were making one, I would shorten the body both above and below the ties. On the pattern illustration, the waist (well, where the ties are) appears slightly raised, and the whole thing ends higher on the hip. I think that shortening in that way would keep the proportional weight higher, making it more youthful and less "Navajo." I've been buying a few Gunne Sax pieces lately and I've noticed that the waist does tend to run high, so it's certainly in keeping with the '70s aesthetic.

BTW, I came here from Sew Retro via your post on the plaid '30s dress, which I really liked a lot. My body is not shaped like a 1930s pattern illustration either, and I really liked what you did with that. I'm off to poke around in your blog some more!
This actually does fit me in pretty much the way the pattern packet shows, but it's hard to tell because the skirts are bulky. I have a very long waist and short legs. (It feels better than it looks, and it looked better with jeans.)

Thanks! I love the plaid dress. I have way too many patterns to sew or I think I could just make a whole bunch of those and live in them.