Simplicity 5377 (1972): Stashbuster smock, done!

Well, OK--just a tiny part of my stash, but anything that uses up idle fabric helps, right?

The fabric I used for this was a cute white-on-red sprig print that, alas, had been wasted on some truly horrible cotton-polyester fabric. The kind of fabric that will never, ever, soften in the wash and will almost assuredly be around to mystify archaeologists in the year 3217. I'm incapable of throwing yardage away, though, so it had to get used for something; it just couldn't be used for something with which I might get emotionally involved.

Besides I had barely two yards, and you can't get that invested in just two yards of anything.

Enter Simplicity 5377 (1972), the smock. It's also hard to get that invested in smocks.

The sleeved version wanted 2 3/4 yards, and I was just over 3/4 yard short, so I made some thrifty changes.

1) Shortened the sleeves.
2) Used the smaller patch pockets from the bib apron pattern that was also included in the packet. The smaller pockets were still plenty big.
3) Sewed the back closed part-way, which allowed me to reduce the two-inch self-facing to a half-inch seam allowance. I left a split with a button and loop at the back of the neck, and I left the tails open for ease of movement around the hips (I have big hips).

I outlined everything in white bias binding, which is the seamstress' equivalent of tall white stockings on a horse. Everybody loves a horse with tall white stockings, just ask the Budweiser Clydesdales.

The front:


The back:



It looks terrible here; it actually looks really cute over jeans and loafers. If I had sewn the butt closed, it could be worn over leggings.

Comments