Weekend sewing!

I actually got some sewing done this weekend! Wonders!

Granted, neither project was one of the zillion unfinished ones I have lying around, but, out of two, one is done, and the other could be done soon since it's super easy.

Project 1 was a prairie skirt:


It looks better in real life, I swear. The waist came out a little big, but that's my own fault for overestimating. I used this awesome half-elastic waistband tutorial from Livejournal. Mine is one piece of wide elastic. I added side-seam pockets, although the fabric doesn't match because I used up everything on the skirt and flounce. Oh, well. You can't see them from the outside, anyway.

The second--which is still in progress--was Simplicity 5377 (1972), which wasn't even on the project radar until I freaked out, yanked it out of the pattern box, and started ironing. We'll blame it on a Tex-Mex overindulgence.

I'm making version 1, but I had barely 2 yards (minus a chunk mysteriously cut out of the corner) instead of 2 3/4, so it has short sleeves, and I used the small pockets off of the bib apron. I also closed up the back part-way so I could wear it as a tunic. The lower part is open, and I left a split at the neck, with a button and loop, so I could get my head through, but the middle back is sewn shut.

The fabric is a cute white-on-red sprig print, wasted on terrible cotton-polyester fabric, that I've had since the dawn of time and have no idea how I acquired. I've been trying to think how to use it for years, and since cotton-polyester stains less, I think a smock is as good a use as any. It has white bias trim.






Comments