Chicken Salad: The Basics

My mother is an inveterate tinkerer with chicken salad: Add grapes . . . no, add pineapple . . . no, add apricots . . . no, add dried cranberries . . . and almonds . . . no, pecans . . . and curry powder . . . no . . . and so on. I don't think she's ever made a bad batch, but sometimes we like to go back to the basics. We normally eyeball the amounts but this time I actually measured and wrote myself a recipe so I could share if the need arose.

Two large chicken breasts, baked and chopped or shredded
1/6 to 1/4 smallish white onion (to taste), diced
2-3 ribs celery (to taste. We like lots and lots of celery), quartered lengthwise and finely chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
salt and pepper to taste

Combine and refrigerate for a few hours to let everything settle into itself. That's it.

Comments