Cookbooks

I found a bunch of these at a secondhand store this weekend. There is one more that I haven't begun scanning yet; it's the 1953 Pillsbury Bake-Off cookbooklet.

I don't have all of these scanned yet, so check back. Stove Pilot alone is over 300 pages and will take me awhile.

American Thermometer Company (St. Louis, Missouri), Modern Cooking With American Oven Heat Controls: The Heart of the Modern Range, circa 1930's. This is more about temperatures and cooking times than recipes, but I thought it was interesting.

Besides, it has a stone-cold awesome Art Deco cover.


Franco-American Spaghetti/Campbell's Soup, 30 Tempting Spaghetti Meals: Easy, Economical, Delicious, circa 1940. Franco-American was apparently similar to today's Chef Boyardee canned pasta-in-sauce. If one was inclined, I would guess one could try out these recipes by substituting about two cups of leftover spaghetti in sauce, cut into shorter lengths.

Part of me actually wants to cook through a couple of my weird 1930's and 1940's cookbooklets. Sort of like Julie & Julia or Fannie's Last Supper . . . Great Depression Edition.


Pet Evaporated Milk, Cookies Made With Pet Evaporated Milk (1950's). This one looks pretty good. There is even a version of Gold Rush Brownies that uses Pet Milk and sugar instead of sweetened condensed milk.


The Woman's Club of Maxwell Air Force Base (Montgomery, Alabama), Stove Pilot (1948): Pretty classic community cookbook, although since it's from the 1940's there isn't as much canned soup and stuff as you would find in a newer book.

Comments