McCall's M4548 (2004): 16 October 2011

Major rebuilding in progress on the bodice. I decided I wanted it gathered into the waistband, and I wanted the shoulder seams dropped to make it look more mid-19th century. Eliminating the front darts is easy, and taking out the back princess seam--actually, combining the center and side-back pieces into one--was less trouble than I expected. I added an inch to the length all around but it was still super short, even taking the waistband into account, so I added more length and will be cutting another test bodice soon. I also added a bit to the sides below the armscyes to give more ease of movement.

Front bodice (after the test run proved too short and I added more length to the pattern piece):

Back bodice (after the test run proved too short and I added more length to the pattern piece):

Front bodice, test run. Note how short it is:

Back bodice, test run. Note how short it is:


Sleeve with two inches taken up:


With sleeve cap cut off:

I've never done this much remodeling on a bodice before so it should be interesting. I may have completely boogered things up (on a tracing: I at least wasn't foolish enough to cup up my original!). I'll probably need to lengthen them, too, but I want to check before I do it so I don't end up with too much sleeve.
The neckline looks good without the collar so I don't think I need to mess with that.
I have muslin to make a new petticoat. I have a better bonnet pattern and I have a passable apron. I'd eventually like a new apron but the one here is much too narrow. Who really needs a patter for a half-apron, anyway?

Comments

Wendy said…
I really love the alterations you made! I have been looking for a dress pattern just like this. Would you happen to have (and be willing to share) your altered pattern for this?
You can follow the progress of this pattern on these posts. I ended up doing something quite different with it, but it did turn out very well (I think; I'm happy with it).