Basic beer bread

Things have been a little crazy lately. I'll get back on the blog wagon as soon as I can.

Meanwhile . . .

Preheat oven to 375.
Use a buttered loaf pan. I'm sure this would also work very well with muffin tins.

3 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole-wheat and 2 cups all-purpose. Cake flour would also work well. Don't use bread flour; you want low-protein flour for quick breads, not high-protein flour.)
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted (I didn't think to use my bacon drippings! Doh! I'll have to get more bacon.)
12 ounces beer (I used Shiner Blonde.)

I thought this needed salt. Next time, I'll try adding 1/2 teaspoon or so to see if I like it better.

Optional:
1 small onion, minced
1 cup shredded sharp cheese

Sift dry ingredients together. Lightly stir in butter and beer. Bake for about 60 minutes, until golden (less for muffins).

Comments