Lentil soup

Still having computer issues.

I was up until 2:00 Saturday morning sewing a slat bonnet. I'll post pictures when I get some.

On the up side, I roasted a whole chicken--with a side of potatoes, parsnips, and carrots--this weekend, picked it, and boiled the frame and leftover vegetable stuffing for broth to make lentil soup. Oh, and I made two more loaves of beer bread.

Lentil soup
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups lentils (I only had 1 scant cup so I made up the difference in split mung beans)
3 large carrots, diced or grated
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
seasonings: I used 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste (probably not necessary with commercial broth, but mine was made from a boiled-down chicken frame and needed some added)

Heat oil and sauté onion and garlic. Add carrot and cook until soft. Add broth. When broth is hot, add lentils and/or mung beans. Cook until those are soft and then season to taste.

Comments