McCall's 4866-A: Part III

Well, that was finished in darned near record time. I had a lousy cold over the weekend but I wasn't going to waste four days off and not sew, right?

Flickr set here. It needs some polishing still, and most of it is pictures of awkward, self-taught, pattern grading.

What I changed:
1) Took it in a size above the waist (14 to a 12).
2) Took an inch out of the sleeve caps.
3) Lengthened the sleeves by two inches (one to make up for the shorter sleeve cap, one because I have monkey arms).
4) Added patch pockets. This is more of a side-seam pocket kind of dress but I had my heart set on patch pockets.

What I will change if I make it again:
1) Take those extra inches out of the sleeve length.
2) Reduce sleeve fullness. Very Seventies stylin' but not very practical.
3) Raise the bottom of the neck slit by two inches.
4) Add length to the hem. The photo angle makes it look longer, but with only a half-inch foldover hem (with hem tape), it hits me right at the knee. Just barely long enough.
5) Use a regular bound slit in the sleeves below the cuffs. The instructions called for this weird cut-away-a-section method that was difficult to finish neatly, left raw edges, and, I think, leaves weak points that will be vulnerable if the wearer rolls up the sleeves.

I did make the self-fabric waist tie but I like the belt better. I bought the fabric for a different dress and was a half-yard short, so the underside of the collar, the insides of the cuffs, and the pocket linings are maroon Kona. One of the inside panels of the waist tie is brown Kona. Oh, well.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Then, I started tracing and altering pieces for Simplicity 4102 (1942): Chicken Dress. I had to order more red rick-rack, but this one is going to be a knock-out!

Here's the fabric: Parsley-green with zillions of tiny chickens. Mom gasped and said, "Oh, my God--you will wear anything!" I might make it my official First Date dress to see if he can pass the Dear Lord What Is She Wearing? test.

Comments