Brown rice pudding

Adapted from Allrecipes.com baked rice pudding recipe. This is a dry, cake-like, pudding, not a pudding-y pudding.

I made this for Mom last night. She can't have sugar so the original version was a no-go. She also doesn't really like nutmeg, and I'm a nutmeg fiend.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (we used short grain)
1/4 cup brown Splenda (or to taste. Mom liked this but it was too sweet for me. I thought I should try using her sugarless "maple" syrup some time, too.)
1 1/2 cups milk (skim is fine)
1 egg
1 egg white, or 2 tablespoons egg white from a carton
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whatever spices you like: Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice
Optional: Scant 1/4 cup raisins or chopped dried fruit (I used dates. Yeah, I know they're not sugarless, but Mom requested.)

Beat eggs and milk. Combine everything except raisins/fruit and pour into a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Bake 30 minutes. Add raisins/fruit and stir. Bake another 30-45 minutes or until set.

Comments