Simplicity 4102-A: Chicken Dress, part I

I thought I had progress pix on my little camera but I guess I don't. Darn. I took some with the big Nikon yesterday because the point-and-shoot was out of juice and I couldn't find its charger, but I haven't uploaded them.

So far, so good. The right side of the dress is all put together, including the sleeve and seam finishes. I cut the waistband into two parts so the right-side tie would be set in a seam instead of tacked onto the outside, because I thought it looked better and would be more sturdy. I also made the waist ties two-sided instead of one-sided with a narrow hem, because that also looks better.

I was going to jog again tonight but it's pouring rain and everything will be soggy, so I have a good excuse to stay in and work on the left side of the dress. I'm determined to reform my dismal zipper-installing habits in 2012. I think hand-basting is the way to go. Hand-basting seems to solve a lot of my problems.

After that, I have to do two rows of rick-rack on the skirt, and hem. That's it!

I lowered the bust darts 1 inch and lengthened the bodice 1 1/2 inches overall, because Simplicity 4714 (1943)'s bodice came out too short. They're similar patterns.

I probably should have done a muslin. Fingers crossed for me, OK? If this doesn't fit, I'm going to be completely heartbroken. I love that chicken fabric so much.

Comments