Butterick 5187-B: Grunge Remix

I finished McCall's 4866-C this weekend. It worked pretty well but the pattern needs some tweaking. It must be a very Seventies fit because it, inexplicably, needs a little bit of a full-bust adjustment (unheard of on me), and the sleeves caps, despite the reductions I already did, need to be reduced some more. The neck also was reduced more than I anticipated when I graded down to a size 12, so I need to enlarge it a little bit again. But it basically works. Pix later; I need to charge my camera.

Next up is Butterick 5187-B, kind of. I'm leaving the hood off and adding an overlap and buttons down the front. I made the neck larger because I think I'll probably wear it over a henley a lot of the time. The sleeves will be faced with plaid cut on the bias, and I'm going to add buttons so they can be buttoned in place when they're cuffed. And I'm adding patch pockets. I started tracing the pattern this weekend.

I kind of hate the term "remix" as applied to vintage patterns and clothing. It's just shorthand for "I'm not going 100% vintage". Well, duh--almost nobody does. But it sort of fits here since, even though this is a Seventies pattern, it has overtones of grunge-era high-waisted baby-doll dresses, those awful baja hoodies, and, in this case, plaid flannel shirts. I wasn't into sewing during the grunge era, and I didn't listen to grunge music, but I'm definitely that vintage, and the grunge look was a great cover for a girl who couldn't possibly keep up with the stylish girls in high school. I wore baggy jeans and swiped all my dad's old Pendleton shirts (wool, of course).


The fabric is black and gray half-inch check cotton flannel (this is a dead-of-winter-only dress!). It's from Wal-Mart and is pretty awful stuff; I had to cut the back halves of the skirt separately because the grain is so off i couldn't match it well enough to cut it with the fabric folded. It still didn't match perfectly but it came out pretty well.


Here's the concept drawing. Don't laugh, OK? Those are boots on her feet, I swear.

I just hope the cheap-ass fabric doesn't ruin the whole project. Here goes.

Comments