New patterns: 2012 May 7, and new fabric

I got into work this morning and discovered a fat inter-office mail envelope on my desk.  Inside were a collection of Butterick reprint patterns and a note from a coworker/fellow seamstress saying she didn't have time to use them.

Windfall!

Butterick 6582 (2001/1960): Party dress with crossover bodice, wide neckline, and either sheath or full skirt.


Butterick B4513 (2005/1957): Sundress with wide neckline and thin straps.


Butterick B4790/6250 (2006/1951): The famous/infamous Walkaway Dress.  Apparently the reprint has been altered substantially from the original so that it will give a more modern fit.  Hmm.  Not really what I want, but maybe I can find out how to un-do the modernization.


Butterick B5209 (2008/1947): Summer dress with either halter top or extended shoulder line.  This is a textbook 1947 design: The short skirt is a holdover from wartime styles, but the broad shoulders and cut-in-one cap sleeves will become hallmarks of 1948 looks.

Butterick B5281 (2008/1946): Day dress with square neck and draped right shoulder.



Vogue 7292 (2001): Mine says 7292 on the packet but the only other one I found listed for sale said 712, so I don't know.  Anyway, it's embroidery transfers for Arts and Crafts cushion designs.  This one is a total keeper: I love Arts and Crafts.


And, finally . . .

Do you ever see a bolt of fabric and think, "Wow, that's hideous . . . it would be perfect for . . . " some idea you've been kicking around in your head?

I saw this at Wal-Mart--yeah, I caved in--and though it was the perfect level of tackiness and clashing colors.  1950's whimsical tacky but not 1970's over-the-top tacky.


This one is going to be the skirt for Advance 5867 (1951), with narrow cream eyelet trim in between the tiers and around the bottom.


Comments

A.J.A. said…
Score! I love the first one, and have seen some very pretty versions made up on We Sew Retro. As for the walk-away, Katrina of Edelweiss Patterns did a post on how to get an authentic 50s fit that I thought was very good. Here is the link:http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog/?p=552
I made one back before I knew how to sew at all! It was fun!
Ah, thank you for the link!