Simplicity 4727 (1943): Black denim skirt

I'm still reworking Simplicity 4727's bodice but I felt I needed a sewing success for the sake of my mental health, so I hauled out the black denim remnant and made the skirt.  I already knew the skirt pattern fit, and I needed a new skirt, and the fabric was taking up space.  No-brainer, right?

Not much to say about this one, since it behaved itself and went together just like it should have, except that the denim stretched slightly before I stay-stitched it and I had to sneak in a couple of small darts at the waist.  No big deal at all.

This is totally not period-correct.  I can't find any evidence that denim skirts were the thing in the 1940's, and they certainly weren't the thing in the Western-wear-ish form into which I altered this by adding butt pockets and gold stitching.  Oh, well.

The waistband and pockets are lined in some Alexander Henry skull-and-roses print left over from another project.  Everyone should be in touch with her inner psychobilly:






And, of course, no self-respecting denim skirt is complete without gold topstitching and a pattern on the butt pockets:


The print shows a little around the edges, though, and I'm mildly worried that I've invited years of inadvertent butt-pinching by people who want to see the insides of the pockets.

I haven't had occasion to wear it with one of my loud Scully shirts and the tall red boots yet, but I will.

The small pocket on the front is lined in Day of the Dead fabric because I ran out of skulls-and-roses:


For the record: The necklace I'm wearing here is an anatomically-correct heart. 

Comments