Simplicity 4727 (1943): Part IX: Drunken Muskrat/Gingerbread Girl Dress

This dress is turning into quite the project.

I'm cutting a few corners and still tweaking as I go but I don't want to cut so many that I don't want to wear the dress, so it's still getting full facings, finished seams, etc.  I started by lengthening the bodice by one inch in the back (which was a bit shorter than the front):


. . . and three-quarters of an inch in the front, which simultaneously fixed the high bust-dart problem . . .


. . . applied white rick-rack trim, which makes the whole dress remind me of gingerbread cookies . . .


. . . the neck facing is thick muslin.  The pattern said to just use a bias strip but I actually cut pattern pieces.  I cut these down a little so I could whipstitch them over the sewing line left by the rick-rack, so the stitches wouldn't show on the other side . . .


. . . the pattern said to face the armscyes with bias strips, too.  I just used commercial bias tape.  This is where it really looks like a fitting muslin: I topstitched the armscyes twice.  I didn't think there was enough seam allowance in the half-inch bias tape to hold, so I topstitched it on both edges.  It looks makeshift, but oh, well.


Comments