McCall's M4548 (2004): Part IV: Skirt

I just realized that it's Thursday and not Wednesday.  Where did Wednesday go?  This means I have one fewer days than I thought to finish this thing.  Oh, dear.

I started the skirt last night.  Engineering the bias panel at the bottom almost did me in.  I made some mistakes but, luckily, I'd overbought fabric so I had enough, and I have plenty of badly-cut pieces left over to make pockets.  I'll be up late tonight but since I don't have to get up early tomorrow, I think I can get it done enough to finish once I'm at the event Friday night (when I don't need to wear it yet). The skirt will be a bit short--tops of my shoes, probably, once I put in the hem facing--but that's OK for a work dress that would have to have been short enough not to drag in the mud.

The Marcus Brothers Indigo, Pewter, and Honey fabric I ordered to use for this dress but then replaced with the blue check once I realized it would never arrive in time, got here on Monday (almost fast enough!).  The color is not at all how it looked on the website, but in this case that's a good thing.  It looked light gray online.  After I'd ordered it, I found another swatch on another site and feared it would end up being a sickly yellow-gray.

When it arrived, it turned out to have a nice brownish cast.   This has been color-adjusted to make it look more like it does in real life:


It's drab, yes, but I think it's appropriate.  I'm going to end up with too many reenacting dresses if I really do get the Past Patterns Round Dress to work, and if I use the brown Marcus Brothers Nottingham Village print for a dress with a yoke and gathered bodice, I could be up to four reenacting dresses, all of them everyday cottons.

I might use one of them for a nicer dress.  My inclination was to use the IP&H one but I only got six yards and that's not really enough for a mid-19th century dress that has actual design features (the blue dress with only the bias panel on the skirt took at least seven). 

I love the 1840's I've seen with chevron fronts--this one is a favorite, minus the lozenge in the middle of the front pleats--but I might have to save up for yet another fabric print to do it.

This green checked dress is another favorite but, again, the fan front shows off certain patterns better than others, so I'd need a different fabric.

Absolutely freaking spectacular plaid dress with pleated chevron bodice.

A nice morning dress that I could probably manage with limited yardage.

And again.

Dun-colored dress, 1839.

Great use of stripes, circa 1835.

I love this--a chevron bodice with a higher neckline.

Comments