Denver Post breakfast muffins

Mom got this recipe out of the Denver Post in 1986.  We have a lot of recipes for weird hippie food from this era, and I tend to be skeptical in general of all-whole-wheat baked goods, but these are little winners.  They're chewy, not crumbly, and have a nice, vaguely English-muffin-type bubbly center.

 1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain yogurt (fat-free is fine.  Don't use Greek-style yogurt, though; it's too dry)
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Optional: Fruit.  I like 1/4 of an apple, finely diced.

Mix the oats and yogurt and let them stand for at least 30 minutes.  (I have not tried this yet, but I suspect that, in a pinch, you could use 2/3 cup Greek yogurt and 1/3 cup soured milk or buttermilk.)

Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly butter a muffin tin.  This will make 12 larger muffins or up to 18 small ones.  Do not, unless you like eating paper, use cupcake liners.  They will stick.  Trust me; I've done it.

When the oats are moist, stir in the eggs.  Mix wet and dry until just combined; don't overwork.

Bake 20 minutes or until browned around the edges.

Store in a tightly-sealed container.  Low-fat baked goods dry out easily.

Comments

Amy said…
Ooh! I'm going to make these soon. Do you think it would work as a loaf?
I actually have no clue. Try it and let us know?