Banana pudding, take 1


I guess this is pretty self-explanatory.

It's banana pudding.

I used the recipe from Cooks.com, mostly.  This is actually a half-recipe since I'm the only one here to eat it, and I used 3/4 cup sugar (well, 3/8) instead of the 1 (1/2) cup it says.  It was still very sweet; a half (1/4) cup might be enough.

It wasn't bad.  It's definitely good considering how easy it is to make.  The texture was more gelatinous that I wanted (it's not off-puttingly gelatinous, it's just not my ideal pudding), and it was immeasurably better once it was chilled.  Now that I've done more research, though, I've found that this seems to be one of the few recipes that doesn't use flour.  I'm going to try again and see if I can't find one that's a little more creamy and custard-y.

1 cup sugar (3/4)
3 eggs, beaten
1 dash salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups milk (I used skim)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 -4 ripe bananas, sliced
vanilla wafers
Mix sugar and eggs together.  Add salt, cornstarch, and milk.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; cook until thickened.  Remove from heat; add vanilla and mix well.  In serving bowl, layer the wafers, bananas, and the pudding.  Chill thoroughly.

Comments