Chicken and noodles with pretentious vegetables

Yikes.

I tried to fix the color, I swear.  It wasn't really green.

Seriously, it tasted pretty good.

Using up cans. This looks like something that came out of the garbage disposal but it tasted pretty good. The olives were interesting.

"Two big handfuls" egg noodles (I measured this later as 3-4 ounces)
about a pound of cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded
about a cup of chicken or vegetable broth (bouillon in water is fine)
1/4 onion, chopped, or to taste
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 small can mushrooms, diced
3-4 good kalamata olives, squeezed through a garlic press (well, "good". Mine were Mezzetta, which are hardly gourmet. Don't use those bland canned black olives, though)
Little bit of oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1 tablespoon cornstarch (I made a slurry but I couldn't tell that it made any difference in the sauce so you might not bother)
Optional: 1/4-1/2 cup wine (I wouldn't know good wine if I drowned in it, but you probably want a drinkable white wine and not the Andre Cold Duck sparkling sweet red that I used. Yeah, it was one of those nights)

Cook noodles not quite al dente. Cook onion in oil until golden. Add artichoke hearts, olives, and mushrooms and "sweat" for a bit. Add chicken, broth, and wine. (Make a slurry with cornstarch and add it here, if you want.) Cook a little longer and then add noodles. Cook until noodles are finished.

Comments