New model: Dr Peaches

This post took me 23 years to write.

Okay, not exactly, but . . . yeah, kind of.

Breyer (the model horse company) started BreyerFest, their annual convention at the Kentucky Horse Park, in 1990.  Before this, they did Breyer-subsidized shows, but a convention was kind of a mind-blowing concept.  I've only been once, in 1991.  It's a huge deal now.  It seemed like a huge deal in 1991 but I'm sure I have no idea what "huge deal" even means any more in this context.

Of course, it had a special run model that was only available to BreyerFest attenders.  In 1991, the model was a portrait of Olympic endurance horse "Mustang Lady", in shaded gray on the Indian pony mold and complete with painted-on competitor numbers and freeze brand.  Mine, Kayutah, is mostly retired now but was a champion show horse in the days before original finish special run models became so elaborate.  I love this model; if I ever have to sell the collection, she will be on the list that gets kept.

Still, there's something about the "first" of anything that always seems a bit special.  The first BreyerFest model was the Thoroughbred gelding eventer "Dr Peaches".  He seems not to have made as big an impression on the rest of the world--most of the images I find online are of the model.  Breyer didn't have its BreyerFest model mojo going yet: It's as if they said, "Let's make him bay.  On the "Phar Lap" [never a collector favorite] mold.  Because there is no possible way that could be more bland."

Persico, light bay Thoroughbred gelding (pending x Vitesse, by Rob Roy).


(Sorry, this is the image from the advertisement from which I bought him.  I'll have a better one eventually.)

Yep.  Bay.  Gelding.  On a mold known mostly for being a weird scale and for having meh conformation and double-meh personality.  In fairness, he got here in the mail yesterday and not only was the seller totally not kidding about his "minty mint" condition--he doesn't even have hoof-edge rubs--but his paint is a lot nicer than it looks here.  He actually has a lot of shading for an early-1990's model, and a very nice semigloss finish.

He's not that big a deal now (which makes him cheaper!) but in 1990 I would have sold my younger brother for this model.  Although, since he was my younger brother, I probably would have sold him for a Slurpee and a Flutter Pony.  But I would have come up with a much better excuse to tell my mother if it got me a "Dr Peaches".

Comments