Raspberry-rhubarb pie

Nothing fancy about this, but who doesn't love pie?

(Actually, I once dated a guy who didn't like pie.  Go figure.)


1 bag frozen rhubarb
1 bag frozen raspberries
2 cups sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons tapioca flour (you can buzz regular pearl tapioca in the blender)
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of cinnamon
crust for a two-crust pie (I used frozen.  Yeah, I'm lazy and I hate making pie crust.)

This is a ten-inch Pyrex pie plate; if you use a smaller commercial pie crust you'll have filling left over.  I'm not sure if it will be two commercial-pie-crusts' worth of filling or not, though (sorry, I haven't made this in storebought crusts before).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Thaw fruit.  Mix fruit and sugar and let sit while you get everything else ready and line the pie plate with one of the crusts.  Combine the fruit, sugar, cornstarch, and tapioca flour in a pan over medium-low heat.  Cook, stirring, until the fruit starts to thicken and turn gummy (only slightly gummy, though, not a lot gummy)--you have to cook tapioca to make sure it sets up properly.  Tapioca flour has been my savior for making pie fillings that don't ooze, but it can set up like rubber if you use too much, which is why I use both tapioca and cornstarch. 

Fill pie crust and cover pie with second crust, crimping edges.  Cover loosely with aluminum foil.  Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees, remove foil, and bake another 20 minutes.  Allow pie to cool and then refrigerate.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a sewing note, I plan to start--and, I hope, finish--Advance 4858 this weekend, and I've started fiddling with the One-Hour Dress.  I messed with the pattern a little bit yesterday at lunch but I'll have to do a muslin to see if my ideas really work.

Comments