Okay, I'm totally winging this, but it's moving along.
I decided there was too much overlap in the front so I took up a 1/4 inch pleat along the fold line, leaving 1 inch per side of center (2 inches total) overlap. That's still a lot but the buttons I ordered are 1 inch so I think it will be OK. Everything about this dress is a little oversized.
I finished the collar this weekend. I love bias trim. I know the whole point of bias trim is that it stretches and conforms to curves (I trimmed down the front of the collar to make an easier curve to follow):
. . . but I am still fascinated by the results. Every time:
And it looked even better sewn on:
But then, of course, I realized I needed to do a neck facing since this collar has no stand. Doh!
What followed was the biggest neck-facing hack job ever. No pix; you don't need to be subjected to images of that kind of incompetence. Thank goodness it's all on the inside of the dress.
On to the sleeves:
and the pockets: