Shortcut curried lentil soup

This isn't the best but it's not bad, and it's easy and fast.

4 cups broth (chicken, vegetable, whatever.  I used turkey, rounded out with water)
1 slightly rounded tablespoon sweet curry powder
1 tablespoon oil, more or less
1 medium carrot, diced or run through a food processor
1/2 medium onion, diced or run through a food processor
1 1/4 cups lentils (I used red because the bag was already open.  Green are fine)
Salt and pepper to taste (I think I used 1/2 teaspoon salt and no pepper)

Optional:
1 clove garlic, pressed or added to the food processor with the carrot and onion
Other seasonings to taste (I used 1/8 teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon coriander)

Heat oil over medium in a large saucepan.  Add carrots and onion (and garlic) and stir to coat with oil.  Cook, stirring, until they are as cooked as you want them (I was impatient and only cooked until the onion was translucent).  Add spices and cook another minute or so until they smell really good.  Add broth.  Bring to a boil and add lentils.  Reduce to a simmer and cook until lentils are done (about half an hour).

I ate this with a slice of bread, because I had an end of a loaf that was getting a little stale.  Ordinarily, I'd eat it with rice.  A lot of the recipes I looked up suggested adding a diced potato.

Comments