Camp Hearne living history day

This was my Saturday.

Dad and I went back out to Camp Hearne for their living history day.  They had a few reenactors, two Jeeps, a Volkswagen Thing, a BMW motorcycle and sidecar (probably postwar Russian copies, but still), and planes.

Fortuitously, Camp Hearne is right between the Robertson County Fairgrounds (lots of parking) and the Hearne Municipal Airport (airstrip), so the location is pretty much ideal for a World War II living history event.  

The (I think this is a) T-6 trainer was flying around as we got to the airstrip.


For two dollars, I got to sit in the cockpit and nose cone of a the Yellow Rose, a B-25J Mitchell bomber.  Hands-down the most entertaining two bucks I ever spent.

If I'd had $400 to spend, I could have gotten a half-hour ride. 


There's the cockpit:


 And six guys parachuted out of a Douglas DC-3/C-47 Skytrain.


The whole thing was super well-organized.  There were even golf-cart shuttles for those who couldn't do that much walking.  I hope they make this an annual event.

Comments