Google Doodles and Fair Isle

It's been a good few weeks for Google Doodles.  October 28 was Edith Head's birthday:


and today is Raymond Loewy's:


I almost bought an HO-scale model of one of his Streamline engines a couple of years ago at the Big Texas Train Show.  I really don't need an HO-scale engine, of course, but . . . wow.

If you've watched more than a scant few old movies, you've seen Head's costuming work.  You'll also recognize her as Edna Mode from The Incredibles (Head even wore her hair in a bob for years after the 1920's, until she updated it to the bangs and chignon).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was poking around Ravelry yesterday during lunch and that little devil on my left shoulder suggested that I might be able to handle Fair Isle after all.  Right.  I've said all along that I am the world's laziest and least ambitious knitter; that I have far too many hobbies to learn most of them well; that my left hand already had tendonitis issues, etc. 

So I went home and experimented.

This is what happens when you decide to experiment with Fair Isle knitting when . . .
1) You've never done it before.
2) It's 11:30 at night and you're really tired.
3) You're using incredibly crappy yarn . . .
4)  . . . and almost certainly the wrong gauge needles.
5) You're not wearing glasses.


I was totally freestyling this--no chart--so the pattern is nothing in particular.  Actually, now that I look at it, it could be bluebonnets if I'd used different colors (the pink/yellow/orange is a variegated yarn, not multiple yarns).  The back is messy, and I know you're not supposed to tie the ends together but I didn't want it to fall apart since it's only about three or four inches square.


I have a lot to learn about not tangling yarns--definitely will be starting with only two colors per project!--but I think I could do this at least on a very basic level.

I needed a circular needle to finish the Christmas project, anyway, so I ordered a beginner book on Fair Isle on Amazon along with it.  I'll never achieve Peruvian hats but maybe I can do small projects.

Comments