What?

A cold front came through yesterday and the temperature went from 73 degrees in the morning when I walked to the doughnut shop, to 40 degrees in the evening when I walked to Kroger's to mail a letter and get chocolate chips (also: Health food kick!).  Yeah.  It was 30 when I got up this morning.  Wow, was I glad I'd put gas in the car on Saturday instead of deciding, as I almost did, that I'd just do it at 6:00 this morning on my way to work.

Spent yesterday sewing and watching movies I had saved on the DVR.   
1) The Way We Were (1973).  I think the point was that Robert Redford's character declined into inspidness after they divorced, but Barbra Streisand was such a self-righteous pain in the neck that you sort of can't blame him.  The line where he tells her, "Not everything happens to you," is one that I'd like to use on some of my activist friends when they're being particularly self-indulgently "sympathetic".  
2) Elmer Gantry (1960), which was pretty good but, since it's Sinclair Lewis, totally cynical about absolutely everything.  
3) Splendor in the Grass (1961) which stunk.  I'm afraid I just do not understand the appeal of Natalie Wood.  This was a bizarre, hypersexualized, movie that gave way too much credit to teenaged infatuation as "love".  Also, 1929 apparently looked just like 1961 only with different cars.  There was almost no effort made to create a period atmosphere, which was super weird.
4) Butterfield 8 (1960).  I'm not a huge Elizabeth Taylor fan, either, although there are movies that I think were good in which she acquitted herself well (A Place in the Sun, since I have an affection for fact-based murder stories.  Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is too hysterical for me, though).  I was totally not OK with them totaling a Sunbeam Alpine, though.
5) The Letter (1929).  Early talkies are awkward, and this has a ridiculously lame plot, but Jeanne Eagels did an admirable acting job.

Comments