Clare Lee "Brick" sweater Part I

One of my biggest hobby problems is focus.  I just have too many ideas and nowhere near enough time or energy to execute them, so when I do get a little time I go nuts and can't decide what to do with it.  

I started a black sweater a couple of years ago but didn't like how it was turning out, so frogged it and put the whole thought aside.  I've been going around and around and around about sweaters and finally decided to just pick a simple one, for which I could use yarn I already had (in this case, the frogged black Lion Wool-Ease), and start.  

The pattern I picked was Clare Lee's "Brick", which is a top-down seamless raglan pullover.  "Top down" and "seamless" are magic words for knitters.  Top-down means you start at the neck, which means you can try it on as you go and you won't have to worry about getting the length wrong: You just keep knitting until it's as long as you want (you do this for both the body and the sleeves).  

"Seamless" means just that--you knit on circular needle so there aren't any side-seams and, in this case, since it has raglan shoulders, there aren't any shoulder seams.  Seaming knits is a pain in the rear.

Not much to see yet, just a few rows of neckline:



I picked this because, well, top-down and seamless, and it got generally good reviews.  This one is supposed to be slubby--I'm making a size large and not doing the waist shaping or sleeve tapering.  The neckline seems to be designed to be wide so if I make a more fitted one, I'll probably cast on for a small and keep increasing until I get to a medium.

I bought this 1950's sweater pattern on Etsy a year or so ago.  It's worked flat and seamed (circular needles weren't that popular in the 1950's and they're only used on the yoke here), which seems like an unnecessary pain.  My goal is to rework it once I have a better idea of what I'm doing.  I think it will probably be the body in one piece and then the yoke picked up and knitted upwards, but we'll see.


Comments