Refrigerator Soup with Middle Eastern pretensions


When I'm home by myself and don't have to worry about other peoples' eating habits, I get experimental.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  This one worked, mostly.  I was short on chickpeas and zucchini, and I've decided it would be better with maybe some spinach or kale cooked in, but, mostly, it was really good.



All measurements are approximate.  I eyeballed all of it except for things like "1 large onion", which are by definition discreet units.

1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground beef (turkey, whatever)
olive oil
garlic to taste (I needed 5 cloves, plus, but mine are frozen.  Fresh probably needs fewer.)
1 can rinsed/2 cups pre-cooked chickpeas
1-2 zucchini and/or yellow squash, quartered and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 1/2 cups pre-cooked bulgur, rice, or barley
cumin (I needed about a tablespoon, but mine is probably stale)
chili powder (teaspoon or more)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups or so chicken or vegetable broth (I think I started with a 2-cup baggie and added some water.  How much liquid you need is up to you)
Generous shot of lemon or lime juice
Optional: 1/4 cup white wine (I used Rex Goliath pinot grigio, which is honestly very good for a $5 wine)
Optional: Garlic salt (1/2 teaspoon, or to taste. Probably not necessary if your garlic is fresher than mine)

Optional garnish: Cheese. This was feta but cotija, Monterey Jack, etc., would do just as well.

Cook onion in a little oil until softened and translucent. Add meat and brown, crumbling as it cooks. Drain. Chill drippings while you cook the other things, then skim and add the juice back to the pot later, minus the fat.

Pre-cook zucchini if you want. I just added it to the broth but the texture might be better if it were seared a little first.  Add zucchini and precooked grains later so they don't get too soggy.  If you're using it, be sure to add the wine early enough that it has time to cook in so it won't just taste like a slug of raw alcohol in your soup. 

Serve with cheese garnish if you wish, and maybe some bread. That's half a storebought bolillo and more of the pinot in the picture.

This would be fine as a vegetarian soup with more chickpeas and maybe some extra vegetables in place of the meat. I think it needs some spinach or kale or something in it next time.

Comments