Butterick 1979 6038 green gingham homespun, part I

I got impatient and started one of my staycation projects early.

I made this before in white Kona and it worked pretty well but there were some minor fit issues and I didn't keep it (I'll probably make it again if this version fits better).  So I got it out the other day and added some back width and neck darts, and did a small FBA.  Seventies patterns are so flat.

I have one yard of green gingham homespun.  I think I can make this work if I make it sleeveless and collarless and probably a bit shorter than the photo suggests:

Eh.  But closer:

Upper back width, rotated to neck dart (this is a rough draft.  I need to fix the shoulder line):

FBA with bust dart rotated into the shoulder gathering (also a rough draft.  these will be retraced):