ECN DIY Friendship Quilt 2017-02

Ta-DA!

String quilt for a college friend who had a rough year.  The blocks were contributed by 15 or 20 people and I volunteered to assemble it.  I didn't want to put any pictures anywhere until she'd received it, though.

This was super easy, fast, and came out great, so I think I'll end up making one for myself.  You sew strips onto a lightweight fabric background, so it's a great block for group projects--people can contribute even if they're not experienced at sewing, or at quilting.  They don't need to be able to appliqué or to piece neatly.  They just have to sew a straight line. 

It's heavy because of the backing on the blocks; this one is lap sized and has a worn-out flannel sheet for batting, which is kind of all it needs.  Machine quilted, but I think these are often tied.

Nice tutorial on Craftsy.



Comments