Stablemate pockets

When I go to horse shows, I always end up packing my Stablemates in a random scraps of fabric and paper towels.  Fail!


I used my Hurricane Harvey rain days and some flannel remnants to try out the Stablemate pockets I've had in mind for awhile.  Super fast and easy.


You need:
Flannel
Sewing machine
Iron

You could serge the ends of these if you had a serger (I don't) or bind them in bias tape, but I French seamed them for durability and neatness.

1. Cut a rectangle.  I made mine between 11" x 8" for a large adult and 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" for a foal.


2. Narrow-hem the short ends.  Fold over 1/4" once, then again, and iron flat.


3. Sew the narrow hems.


4. Fold the rectangle right-side out, the long way, by about 2:2:1 proportions.  That is, two sections should be about the same and the flap should be about half the size of the other two parts.


5. Sew ends.


6. Trim seam allowance just a little bit and clip the corners to reduce bulk:


7. Turn wrong side out and iron flat.


8. Sew ends again.  This is the French seam, which won't pull out or unravel.


9.  Turn right side out again and stuff with a Stablemate!




Comments