Hint of History 103 Lace Insertion Dress Part 1

Listening: Ark-La-Tex Mix.

I have not been doing anything of note lately.  The Traveling Stars shawl is chugging along nicely now that I have the pattern worked out to my satisfaction.  I did a bunch of work on a stealth Christmas gift that I'll reveal later.  The weather has finally broken here and the cats have come home to roost:


Mispickel landed at the vet's again yesterday with a case of constipation.  At least she'll eat canned food now so we can wean her off of kibble.  Sigh.  They had the presence of mind to do her shots a little early, while she was sedated, to save everyone the trauma of a return visit.  She was in a much better mood this morning, though.

I've said this before: The deal with fast, easy, projects is that they are never as fast and easy as you planned.  "Simple" almost always means "simple if you're a certain body type but endless fitting alterations if you're not".

Folks, I'm not.

I got the Hint of History 103 Lace Insertion Dress awhile back thinking it looked like a cute, if not authentically-constructed, 1910s-ish dress that might have potential:


The plan was to make it out of some gray and white gingham homespun I overdyed purple, using bias panels (backed in muslin to prevent sagging) instead of lace:


I haven't found any examples online except for the one on Ms. Kastner's site, although a couple of people on the 1910s costuming Facebook group said they had made it and it was a decent pattern.

I did a bodice mockup last night of a 12, blended up to a 14 at the bust and upper back, plus 3/4" additional bodice length.  I've made worse first tries but it was a nope, so we got out the paper and did a 2-inch overall FBA (I'm doing two versions of this, one with the extra distributed to the waist and one with three shoulder pleats):


  . . . and also added 2" to the back, which was very tight.  I split the width between the inset belt and non-inset belt parts of the waist (left), and then rotated some of the rather large shoulder dart out (right):


Comments

Mrs Rat said…
I am always impressed by your skill with pattern adjustments. They still feel like an arcane science to me, and you make them look so easy to accomplish.
I hope your cat feels better soon.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this dress pattern.
Cat is doing much better, thanks! She tried to break into the treat cabinet last night.

It's just practice. Every time you do it, you figure out something new and it gets a little easier.