Simplicity 1995 9801 shift dress

Another fast project: Simplicity 9801, a shift dress from 1995.  I ordered the wrong size and had to grade it up by one, did a small FBA, and widened the back.  I didn't do the back zipper--just a back neck slit and button.

It doesn't look like much here.  The fabric is Moda Basicgrey Metropolitan in "ink" (black/gray):


Update: Finally wore it!  I was afraid it would be disappointingly unflattering or maternity-esque but it's really not.

 

Pattern description: Flared dress has jewel neckline, back zipper, and bodice front tucks.  A and B are knee-length.  A has long sleeves.  B has tuck detail on short sleeves.  Mid-calf length C is sleeveless.


Pattern sizing: Mine was a size 10 grade up, sort of, to a 12

Did it look like the illustration on the envelope? Yes.  I made B.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.  It's a very simple dress

What did you like about the pattern? It's easy and looked much better than I expected once it was done.

What did you dislike? Nothing, really.

Fabric and notions used: Moda Basicgrey Metropolitan in "ink" (black/gray)  Black and gray with a numbers and letters print.

What pattern alterations or design changes were made? I used a split neck and a button and loop instead of the zipper.  It was easier, looked better, and you really don't need the zipper to get in and out of the dress since it's not fitted.  I also did plain sleeves since the tuck detail wouldn't have shown on the print, anyway, and I thought the detail was a little too fussy for the style of fabric.  I did a small FBA, and widened the back, which also added the extra width I need around my hips.

Would you make it again? Yes.

Comments