Ridiculous Project: Sunshine Family Doll Dress, Part I

 . . . for me, that is, not for the doll.

If you're not familiar with them, the Sunshine (and Happy) Family were a doll series from the early- to mid-1970s post-hippie era.  The mom, Steph, wore a long floral prairie dress and they drove around the country in a pickup truck selling crafts.  I think there were eventually farm animals and a spinning wheel.  Very Seventies back-to-the-land.

They predated me by quite a bit but they're exactly the kind of thing with which I would have been obsessed had I known about them when I was a kid--small but not too small, endless accessories, Little House dress (I was never into Little House myself but owned and loved a lot of long calico dresses handed down from older neighbors.  I never really outgrew my prairie dress phase).

I got my dolls in the mail today.  I don't really want Steve but this pair was one of the cheapest I could get that had Steph and her apron.

Their faces are a little bit creepy.

The earliest aprons had two patch pockets on the front.  This one is a little later and doesn't.  The third iteration of the apron was shorter and had narrower shoulder straps.  I'd like to get an apron with pockets but it's not a big deal since this one is the same cut.

Steph's dress is actually a bodysuit and A-line skirt with an elastic waist.  Later dresses were one piece with an elastic waistline and short sleeves; I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet.


I've already ruled out the bodysuit and skirt option--there is no way I'd ever wear that--so one-piece dress it is.

The fabric is tricky.  I looked for both deadstock and modern but 1970s-style calicoes and came up empty on prints that were the right color, scale, and "feel".  For once both Cranston and Concord failed me!  I finally settled on this Moda Catalina floral which is less 1970s than I'd like but is a bigger scale. I'm slightly tempted to overdye it in yellow but I'll probably talk myself out of that.


Comments