Pattern Review: Butterick 3848 1983 See & Sew smock dress

 I've gotten fed up with Pattern Review's outdated interface and awkwardness about duplicate pattern numbers and am just going to review stuff here.

Pattern Description: "Very loose-fitting dress three inches below mid-knee has shaped collar and band all-in-one, front buttoned closing, front and back gathered into shaped front and back yokes, side-seam pockets, and full-length sleeves gathered at cap and into buttoned cuffs, and topstitch trim."



Pattern sizing: A (8-10-12) (bust 30-32-34) and B (14-16-18) (bust 36-38-40).  Mine is a B.

Did it look like the illustration on the envelope? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you like about the pattern? It was easy.

What did you dislike? I didn't like the finish on the sleeve slits or hem (more on that below).

Fabric and notions used: Green and black buffalo check shirting flannel (woven plaid, not printed).  I think I got this at Joann.  I was a little short on yardage so the facings, yoke lining, and pockets were all made from plain green quilting cotton.  I used five 3/4" black plastic buttons for the yoke and cuffs.


What pattern alterations or design changes were made?

1) Mixed sizes.  I'm a high bust 34, full bust 37, so I normally do a small FBA and an adjustment for a broad upper back.  Grading the body panels down and then widening them again seemed absurd in a pattern with no fitting at all so I only graded down the yoke and collar and used the size 14/bust 36 body panels stock.

2) I thought the sleeve slit finish looked weak and made a narrow facing instead.  I also did not like the narrow hem and made a full hem facing.

  

3) I reshaped the collar to have points and to meet in the middle instead of overlapping and buttoning closed. 

 

4) I folded about 1 1/2 inches width out of the sleeve pattern.  It was still plenty full.

5) I lined the yoke completely and finished the seam in bias binding.

Would you make this again? Yes.

What would you change? 

1) I need to make the sleeves just a little bit longer.

2) The pockets are set very low.  I'm 5'7" with a long torso and long arms and the pockets are almost out of reach!  I'd like them to be about 1 1/2 inches higher.

3) The sleeve slits are too long.  They leave big, cold, gaps along my forearms and the sleeves don't stay put when they're rolled up.

Conclusion: Not alluring but a nice, comfortable, updated Mother Hubbard type casual dress (or maternity dress, I assume, or nightgown, really).  


 

 

Comments