Simplicity 8403 (1977): Finished!


Finished!
Originally uploaded by Little Black Car
I stayed up until past midnight last night getting this done.

Overall, I like it. I should have made the sleeves shorter, but they're OK for office wear.

My only beef with the pattern is that it really needs bust darts. This one is technically my size, by full bust measurement, but as you can see in the picture from the wrinkles stretching from bust to arm, it still doesn't fit properly across the front bodice (it's not an underwear issue; I'm wearing a good bra, although it looks like I'm not because the fit of the dress is off). Really, though, any pattern designed for adult women should have bust darts; this is a Bust 38, and nobody in that size is going to be able to wear a dress that doesn't have bodice shaping.

I love the way the trim came out, and I also have to say that, despite this being a tent dress with a belt, it looks far better on me than I expected. It would look better still with better shaping in the front.

Comments