Cherry-Chocolate Chip Bread: Concept

No recipe this time; this one is still on the drawing board.

I've had in mind for a long time that I want to make a loaf of cherry-chocolate chip bread. I poked around online and found plenty of recipes. It's one of those "sweet" or "tea breads" that is really a cake in a loaf pan, like banana bread, zucchini bread, or strawberry breakfast bread. I'm really a pretty big fan of tea breads, but somehow it's not really what I want for this. I want something lighter in texture, a little less cake-like, and a little more breadlike, but still a bit sweet.

I finally decided to try it based on a Sally Lunn. I've never baked one of these myself, but I've eaten them a time or two, at other peoples' houses, with tea, and they're much closer in texture to what I want. Half-cake, half-bread, gently sweetened, very tender but not completely crumbly.

I'll probably make it at the higher end of sweet (by Sally Lunn standards), and mix in dried dark cherries and semisweet chocolate chips. And possibly glaze it. I don't much care for glaze in general but a little voice tells me it needs to the extra bit of sugar and the crispness.

Will let y'all know how it turns out.

Comments