Let there be sewing!

143. That means I can maintain on normal eating habits!

I haven't been jogging enough because it's been deathly cold, but at least that means that the dog wants longer walks, right, so I'm not completely going without exercise.

I desperately want to sew this weekend. Saturday is Heritage Day at Jones Park, so I'll be out there in pioneer garb all day long. It's supposed to be in the low 60's, which is warmer but still not very warm when you're standing still in the shade. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to need that gigantic shawl I made! I was going to wear one of my straw hats, and I need to make a new slat bonnet (I have the fabric and tagboard, but it's unlikely I'll get it done, um, tonight) so I might borrow our Amish bonnet to fill in, since it would be a bit warmer than a straw hat.

Sunday, though, Mom says she wants to hang out together. I should be able to get quite a bit of sewing done now that I'm through with ruffles for awhile. She said she might get out her knitting again; she started working last year on a shaggy, mixed-yarn, red shawl inspired by one she saw at a yarn shop, but for which she didn't want to buy the expensive kit. It's very festive.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got a white Fiesta oval serving bowl (terrible picture; will post a new one when it gets here) and a lilac rimmed soup bowl on eBay, and very good prices. Slightly worn, but I don't care. My first lilac Fiesta! I dream of a five-piece setting but it will be awhile before I can afford one.

I also got three yards of "pink" (salmon? I haven't seen it in person yet) striped cotton for $6. This will probably end up being a dirndl skirt. I made one ages ago from purple and black yarn-dyed stripe, but then Goodwilled it in a moment of irritation/poor judgment/insanity and have been regretting it ever since. I need new skirts. I love big skirts. I love slightly-heavy yarn-dyed cotton. I don't care if they make my butt look big. My butt is big, anyway, so I might just as well go with a skirt that can accommodate, right?

I could do a plain skirt but since this is a small-scale stripe, I think a pieced inset would be fun:


And pockets. Must have pockets. Set-in-seams are the most obvious but you know how I feel about patch pockets.

I had two ideas but I think I like the one on the lower right better. It matches the skirt inset more closely. I like the other one but it's too elaborate for this project.


So . . . like this. But in pink. And not so poorly drawn.


Comments